Call Me!

You can reach me on my Skype phone number anytime...it's just like calling me in NC! (828) 398-0878

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Climbing El Peñol

My new climbing friends, Carlos and David, who I met at the climbing gym, insisted I join them for a long day at Medellín's closest climbing destination, El Peñol.  It's a granite monolith that rises 2,500 ft. above the massive reservoir/lake that supplies water to Medellín down the mountain.  The views of the lake from the rock are just stunning.  I don't believe I have seen water that shade of emerald green ever before. I was surprised at how undeveloped this climbing site is; there are no trails to the base of the rock or between routes.  We slogged through mud and all kinds of vegetation during the day.  Even though we were rained on multiple times, we were able to take refuge below the granite roofs, waiting for the sun to reappear and dry off the rock again.  I most enjoyed just being outside all day getting to know new friends.

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad things are falling into place for you! I am convinced that it is going to be difficult to get you back in the States. Dan and I will definitely need to plan a trip to visit you. The photos you have posted are amazing!
    Miss you.
    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that a house on top of the rock?
    What does GI stands for?
    Looks like a fun place to climb.

    ReplyDelete