Call Me!

You can reach me on my Skype phone number anytime...it's just like calling me in NC! (828) 398-0878

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Peanut Butter

I've been going through a bit of peanut butter withdrawal down here.  It's not that it's completely unavailable-- for $8 i can get a mini-jar of PeterPan, I even found a medium jar of Reduced Fat JIF for about the same price-- I'm just not willing to shell out that kind of money, especially if it's not a full-fat product!

Then, I heard a friend of a friend mention "big bags of peanut butter" sold at a place called Makro.  I didn't believe her.  Colombians don't eat the tasty nut-paste, and don't know what to do with it when they see it...why would they sell it in big bags?

My curiosity got the best of me, so I took the 15 minute walk from my apartment to Makro-- best described as the Colombian COSTCO.  And, no kidding, there it was!  Between big bags and jars of jams and fruits was a stack of "big bags of peanut butter"...reasonably priced!!  Ever have a moment that is hugely meaningful and important, but no one around you knows, or cares, or would understand?  That was me, giddy with glee, in the bulk-jam isle.  Looking around with a "Can you believe this!?" expression on my face, eyebrows high, smile stretched... no one cared.  But, no matter...I returned home, squeezed the contents of one of the bags into my JIF jar, dunked a cracker, and congratulated myself for overcoming cultural and culinary differences.  Yum!

3 comments:

  1. That's what I would call an expat moment. :)
    I probably had the same excitement when I realized I could get some French cheeses here (pricey but still it was available).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! you found bags of baby poop! I can't wait to try it :)

    -Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for peanut butter :) Love the blog!

    Deiah

    ReplyDelete